Saturday, October 11, 2008

Wedding registration

I landed a cameo role today. Do you think that it was for some sort of Hollywood film like Anna and the King? I was hoping for that too, but as reality would have it, that wasn’t the case. Rather, it was just an insignificant and camouflaged role at my cousin's wedding registration ceremony.

To be even more precise, I was a video girl who was in charge of recording the whole oath-taking ceremony using a digital camera. And I’m proud to say that I have delivered my job pretty well.

The sky looked ominously dark and the sun was overshadowed by the turbulent clouds just as we were about to start our ride. Fortunately, God took mercy on us and somehow, He prevented the rain from pouring on us this afternoon. It would sure to be a mess if it was to rain.

And finally, being the third pair of the day, my cousin and his girlfriend were happily marked as husband and wife. When the ceremony was just about to end, we were retained in the room to listen to what the lady who registered the marriage for them has to say. She spoke in two languages, first in Mandarin and then followed by English. I could not really comprehend what she said the first time, so I had to wait for her to deliver it in English.

Still, I did not really get what she was trying to say. All I know is, right after she had finished talking, almost everyone (excluding me of course) reached into their pocket and took out their wallet. The ladies, on the other hand, unzipped their hand bags. Each of them quietly proceeded to the front desk, where a transparent bowl of money was placed and dropped their money into the sealed bowl before swiftly returning to their seat.

Now I get it! I think the lady was asking for donation for the handicapped. Errr, is this the right time?

Just being curious, I wonder if the lady was going to unregister any couple who refused to contribute to the ‘bank’. Cheeky ones like me would have probably turned a deaf ear and pretended to look elsewhere :P

And coincidently, the lady had also performed the same task on my parents many years ago! If I was notified earlier, I would have insisted to take picture with the lady! Without her, my parents would not be possibly married, and I would not be here today updating my blog.

That’s the end.

I hereby announce that my cameo role has officially ended.


All right, after hours of hard work, I think I sure deserve some flowers.
:P
CHEESEEEEEE

0 comments: