Friday, April 17, 2009

People that I meet

So, when you fail to catch what the other person is saying, do you blame it on your own low level of understanding or the other person's failure to explain?

At first, I thought it was the former. I thought I was connected wrongly in the antenna and that is why I couldn't receive whatever signals that my colleagues are trying to send to me. But eventually, I start to believe that I am fine.

Perfectly fine indeed.

This is because after a long analysis, I finally know WHY!

The problem surfaces when they talk to me in mandarin very quickly and I often had to make them repeat to me what they intend to say. Sometimes, even after numerous repetition, I still fail to grasp what they're trying to tell me. By then, they will be too annoyed by my 'Huh?" "What?" and ended up getting irritated. Sigh...This is probably why they find it really difficult to talk to me and vice versa.

Apart from this, there are a few things that I had observed during my three weeks of work. And I just got to share it!!

First: Most people love to come when the shop is about to close, that is at 9.44pm. I guess it is just their habit to stop by a minute or two before we close the counter and count the stocks. Worse is, we just cannot refuse their entry. It's business, for God's sake!

And sometimes even after we're closed, there are still people banging on the door, asking us to open and let them come in. They probably love NIKe way tooooooo much..

Second: There is this lady who entered the shop with her son who is about 18 years old. I truly believe that an 18 year old teenager will have the capability to choose what he wants according to his own preferences and not to depend on his mother. But I was wrong again! His mother specifically REQUESTED me to look around the shop for pants that suit her son. If the boy could tell me what he wants, it would be easier as I would just have to bring him over to the respective section. NO!

The boy obviously isn't interested in doing that and depended entirely on his mother to make the choice. And the mother passed on the job to me in looking for the perfect pants for the son. Okay, fine. I'll just have to accept that it's part of my job. So I carried my job dutifully and took all the shorts from the shop (except girls' section, unless he really wants it) and passed it to the boy. He turned to his mother and once again, the mother is making the choice for her son. Well, they did buy a pair at the end but is that what the boy really wants? Or what the mum wants her son to be seen in?

Third: It was a full-packed day where we had the arrival of new stocks. Then, this guy came in. He was smartly dressed, spoke perfect English and looked really gentleman. He took a shirt from the rack and put it on in the fitting room. He then came out and told me he wanted 2 of them. Immediately, I went to the store room and brought out 2 similar shirts for that gentleman. He said he wanted to make sure that they fit and so, he put them on again in the fitting room. This time around, he told me he didn't like the colour. It's the same T shirt, my God!!

This is not the worst yet.


Then, this guy walked to the shoes section and picked one of the shoes on the display board. I asked him for his shoe size and he claimed he doesn't know. So, I asked him to put on the shoe that he wanted to see if it fits. (It was the left side of the shoe btw). He refused. He told me he can only wear his shoe on the right feet and asked me to get the right side of the shoe for him. Once again, I ran to the store room and got him the side he wanted. And I've got to tell you I really want to strangle this guy. Without putting them on, he said it is not nice anymore and he doesn't even want to try it. Now tell me, is this guy fooling around with me? Is he testing my patience??? Argghh....worse is, I even have to smile to him despite me feeling so annoyed and irritated.

Actually, there are just too many stories to share. I meet different type of people everyday where some are extremely nice but some are just....bad..REALLY BAD. They annoy me. They're irritating. They're demanding. They just piss me off.

Unfortunately, those nice ones aren't regular customers but those bad ones are. :(:(:(

I'm predicting bad days ahead....


0 comments: