Sunday, January 25, 2009

CNY greetings

What does Chinese New Year hold for me? Besides the mandatory house cleaning prior to the celebration, it will have to be the mass amount of food available, which ranges from high calorie cookies to traditional dishes like jiu hoo char, kiam chai ak, lor bak and many more. Seriously, I'm very proud of my mum who possesses chef qualities and I'm glad to say that she never runs out of ideas on what to cook for reunion dinner as well as the first meal on the Lunar New Year.

Hmmm...but there is one thing that freaks me out when the celebration is approaching. Apart from the possibility of not fitting into the favorite pants anymore, there is one thing that is far worse than this. Have you ever been interviewed by your relatives and getting compared to their children? Well, I have been through this process and sad to say that this looks like a norm during Chinese New Year. Once they sit you down, you'll be bombarded with questions like what you're planning to do after graduating, why you think it's best for you and still no boyfriend ar? Mind you, these questions do not only come from one relative, it comes from most of them who walked into my house. Actually, I wouldn't really mind if their intention is to guide me to the right path but what's with the comparing? Is comparing going to make them better, happier and prouder? I bet so.

I hope I do not sound too upset back there. I was actually happy because my eldest sister will be back this year! It's been so long since we last took a family picture. I mean a complete one! So, I'm really really really and extremely happy. Can't you see how easily I can be pleased?

So, Gong Hei Fatt Choy and I hope that all of us will be surrounded by prosperity and joy this year.

0 comments: